Customers running a Glamis or earlier version of Smoothwall are unable to directly upgrade to Inverness, even though that is the latest release.
How to upgrade your Smoothwall so that you can see the Inverness Release in System > Maintenance > Updates & releases.
Due to the extensive changes made in the Hearst release to the underlying Smoothwall filesystem, it is imperative you upgrade to Hearst first, before continuing to upgrade to the Inverness release. Until you do so, you will not see the Inverness Release in System > Maintenance > Updates & releases > Releases: new functionality and major upgrades.
For a detailed description of the changes in Hearst, see https://help.smoothwall.net/Hearst/Default.htm
Note: Upgrading to Hearst can take approximately 30 minutes to complete as the unit reboots up to 4 times. It is recommended you complete this process when your network is quiet, for example, out of hours.
- Go to System > Maintenance > Updates & releases.
- From the Releases: new functionality and major upgrades section, click Install for Hearst.
- When the Hearst installation has completed, log back into the administration UI and ensure all firewall rules, web filter policies, and other configuration have successfully migrated over.
- Return to System > Maintenance > Updates & releases.
- If Inverness is not seen under Releases: new functionality and major upgrades, click Check for updates in the Update: fix and patch your installed release section.
- Click Install for Inverness.
Tip: Use the Details button for Hearst to read the release notes.
Tip: Use the Details button for Inverness to read the release notes.
Upgrading a Failover Setup
Our knowledge base article How to Update a Failover Setup to Hearst contains useful information with regards to upgrading your failover solution to any Smoothwall release. However, for this specific case, steps 7-10 can be left until after Inverness has been successfully installed.
- Why can’t I see the Hearst Release in Updates & Releases?
|Last updated:||Author:||Contributions by:|
|6th December 2016||Samantha Nair|